- Birth Date
- 17 October 1820
- Death Date
- 28 October 1881
Stephen Henry Hales
The Hales family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Harry Walton/Garden Grove Company in 1851. The Hales family included Stephen and Eveline Lydia Carter and their son Stephen Hales, Jr. One source stated that Stephen traveled with four people. Further research is needed to determine who the fourth person was. There are quite a few Hales in the company.
At the end of a mission to Europe, Stephen returned home with the Leonard G. Rice Company in 1867. He was a bugler and drove a wagon.
Stephen’s birth date is confirmed by the missionary register. Also, some sources record his name as “Steven Hale.”
- Age at Departure: 30
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 46
- Returning Missionary
- "Arrived," Semi-Weekly Telegraph , 10 Oct. 1867, 2.
- Crooks, George, [Diary excerpts], in Elna P. Atchison, [Genealogical information on the Crooks family, ca. 1955], 15-16.
- Fox, Ruth May, "From England to Salt Lake Valley in 1867," Improvement Era , July 1935, 408-9, 450.
- Fox, Ruth May, [Reminiscences], in Our Pioneer Heritage,20 vols. [1958-77], 7:342-44.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 24 September 1851, 2.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1851, 8.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Ossian F. Taylor journal, 1851 April-September.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- William Gibson journals and notebooks, circa 1841-1890, vol. 2, 73-74 and vol. 3, 198.