- Birth Date
- 19 December 1830
- Death Date
- 28 September 1917
John Anderson West
The Crooks' journal indicates that John's father was part of a traveling group of ten family members. It is assumed that John was part of that group. He is first documented in Utah in the 1856 census in Parowan City.
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 27
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1856 Utah Census.
- 1860 Utah Census, Iron County.
- Bell, Eli, Diaries, 1854-, vol. 4.
- Crooks, George, [Diary excerpts], in Elna P. Atchison, [Genealogical information on the Crooks family, ca. 1955], 15-16.
- Franklin W. Young autobiography, circa 1915-1917.
- Johnson, Sixtus Ellis, Journal, vol. 3, in Diaries 1854-1857.