- Birth Date
- 2 April 1824
- Death Date
- 5 January 1910
Claudius Victor Spencer
Claudius initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with his father, his cousins, and his wife Maria in the Daniel Spencer/Ira Eldredge Company in 1847.
At the end of a mission, he traveled home as Captain of the Claudius V. Spencer Company in 1853 as indicated in Arthur, Hammond, and King sources. He married Louisa Helen King, who was traveling in his company.
In the winter of 1856 he participated in the rescue effort to bring in emigrants stranded on the plains of Wyoming.
In 1861 he was a returning missionary from England. Further research is needed to identify the name of the company he traveled with on that return trip.
In 1864 he traveled with the Sharp and Spencer Freight Train.
- Age at Departure: 23
- Daniel Spencer (Age: 52)
- Emily Spencer (Age: 27)
- Maria Antoinette Spencer (Age: 21)
- Charles Henry Spencer (Age: 19)
- Gilbert Henry Van Schoonhoven (Spencer) (Age: 18)
- Anna Spencer (Age: 16)
- Hiram Theron Spencer (Age: 11)
- Amanda Spencer (Age: 7)
- Mary Leone Spencer (Age: 4)
- Edwin Eugene Spencer (Age: 3)
- Frances Elizabeth Spencer (Age: 1)
- Age at Departure: 29
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 32
- Age at Departure: 36
- Returning Missionary
- Age at Departure: 39
- Company Captain
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Allred, Redick Newton, Journals, 1852-.
- Arthur, Christopher Jones, Autobiography, in Library of Congress, Collection of Mormon Diaries [1935-1938], reel 1, item 4, 1:5-6.
- Arthur, Christopher Jones, Autobiography, in Library of Congress, Collection of Mormon Diaries [1935-1938], reel 1, item 4, 2:6-7.
- “Claudius V. Spencer Company report, 1853.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 31)
- Excerpt from Ove C. Oveson journal, 1860-1920.
- Hammond, Selina Walker, Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1913-1915], 1-3.
- Hannah Tapfield King autobiography, circa 1864-1872, Volume 6, circa 1864-1872.
- Hurren, Emma and Gretta Camp. "Life Sketch of My Grandmother, Emma Hurren Woolf."
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1847, 12.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Names of Persons Who Volunteer to Go as Teamsters" in Offerings for the assistance of the P. E. F. immigrants, 1856 October in Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company general files, 1850-1887.
- "News from the Frontier," Deseret News, 31 Aug. 1864, 384.
- Peterson, Peter, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 23:125-27.
- "Pioneer Who Came to Salt Lake City in 1847 Passes Away," Salt Lake Telegram, 5 January 1910, 10.
- [Report on the Rescue of the Martin Company], in "History of Brigham Young," 11 Nov. 1856, 983-86.
- Spencer, Claudius to Brigham Young, 12 November 1856. Brigham Young office files 1832-1878, General Incoming Correspondence.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- William Broomhead diary, 1856 October-1857 April.