- Birth Date
- 8 March 1821
- Death Date
- 7 August 1898
Christopher first came to the U.S. in 1843 after joining the Church in 1842. His wife died in Illinois and son died in Missouri. His surviving daughter, Elizbaeth, was fostered by William Brown Smith. Christopher joined the Mormon Battalion, and in 1850 sailed from San Francisco back to England.
Christopher remarried in England (his third wife), and he and his wife, Sarah, sailed to America in 1850 on the ship James Pennell.
He served as a Captain of Fifty in the pioneer company.
- Age at Departure: 31
- Head of Household
- 1860 Utah Census, Davis County.
- "Autobiography of Sarah B. Layton," Woman's Exponent, 15 February-1 March 1901, 86.
- Brockbank, Isaac, Autobiography, in [Stephen W. Brockbank], Isaac Brockbank, Jr., 1837-1927: Autobiography , 9-15.
- "Christopher Layton Dead," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 9 August 1898, 5.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Patriarch Layton's Death," Deseret Weekly, 13 August 1898, 276.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Wilson, James Thomas, "The Life of James Thomas Wilson," , 32-39.