- Birth Date
- 16 August 1826
- Death Date
- 10 September 1911
Joseph and his wife Ann sailed to America in 1852 on the ship Ellen Maria.
Joseph initially traveled to the Valley in 1852, but several years later, he participated in the rescue effort to bring in emigrants stranded on the plains of Wyoming during the winter of 1856.
Genealogical sources list his birthday as 16 May 1826, but Seventh Ward record of members lists his birth as 16 Aug. 1825. His given name in Seventh Ward records is George, but he was known as Joseph during the greater part of his life.
Birth and death dates are confirmed by his death certificate.
- Age at Departure: 25
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 30
- 1860 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1852.
- "List of Persons Sent from Great Britain by the Perpetual Emigrating Fund Co., in the Months of January and February 1852, by Franklin D. Richards Agent at Liverpool," Deseret News, 21 August 1852, 3.
- Seventh Ward, Record of Members.
- Smith, Charles, Reminiscences and Diary, 18-23.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- "Veteran Pioneer of Utah is Dead," Salt Lake Tribune, 11 September 1911, 10.