- Birth Date
- 7 September 1840
- Death Date
- 30 March 1911
Joseph Barnes Payne
Joseph was an orphan. Joseph emigrated from England in 1843. He came with his father, step-mother, and siblings. They sailed on the Swanton, and arrived in New Orleans on 16 March 1843. The ship manifest shows his surname as "Pain."His father and step-mother both died before being able to come to Utah. He and his siblings were placed with different families in order to come West. Joseph traveled with the Hiram Mace family. He is listed as a member of the Mace household in the 1850 and 1856 Censuses. In some sources the surname is spelled "Paine" or "Pane."
- Age at Departure: 10
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1856 Utah Census, Millard County
- 1870 Utah Census, Millard County.
- 1880 Utah Census, Millard County.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Obituary," Millard County Progress, 7 April 1911.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.