- Birth Date
- 1 June 1832
- Death Date
- 29 March 1910
James' father (George), mother (Hannah Hobson May), sisters (Elizabeth & Emily), and brother (William), all died of cholera before the Kelsey Company set out for the west. They had previously survived the explosion of the steamboat Saluda. He is traveling with the remainder of his siblings.
His given name is "Jas" on the 1860 Utah census.
- Age at Departure: 20
- Head of Household
- 1860 Utah Census, Davis County.
- "19th Company," Deseret News, 18 September 1852, 2.
- "Death of James May," Box Elder News Journal, 31 March 1910, p. 1.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- May, James, Reminiscences [ca. 1864-1888], 12-13.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.