- Birth Date
- 18 July 1829
- Death Date
- 8 April 1911
Emma Phoebe Ann Beckstead
Emma Phoebe Ann Ferris,
Emma Phoebe Ann Middleton
According to Nauvoo Community Project and Find A Grave Emma was a daughter of Francis Beckstead Sr. and Catherine Lang. Both Emma and her mother were born in Upper Canada. Her father died in January 1841 in Lima Township, Adams County, Illinois. Emma and her mother probably crossed the plains together. Both of them were rebaptized in the West Jordan Ward, Catheraine on 2 October 1852 and Emma about 14 May 1852. Emma's rebaptism record gives her birth year as 1838. According to her Find A Grave memorial, Emma married Richard P. Middleton in Utah. The obituary of their daughter (Lucy E. M. Griffiths,) says that both of her parents were pioneers.
Emma's death notice says she was a handcart pioneer but handcarts were not used in 1852.
- Age at Departure: 22
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1860 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- 7th Company of 50 report, 1852 June 15.
- "Death," Salt Lake Telegram, 5 October 1932, 5.
- "Mrs. Middleton's Funeral," Salt Lake Telegram, 10 April 1911, 10.
- Utah Death Certificates, 1904-1964.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.