- Birth Date
- 28 January 1808
- Death Date
- 27 November 1888
After Ft. Laramie, the family joined the 1847 Daniel Spencer/Perrigrine Sessions Company. In some sources his surname is listed as "Matthews." FamilySearch and the Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database both give his surname as "Mathews."
In 1857, he helped establish a colony of Saints in San Bernardino. When the members were called back to the Valley, he and his son (it is uncertain which son) returned with the Lyman/Rich Company in 1857.
- Age at Departure: 37
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 39
- Age at Departure: 49
- Amasa M. Lyman, Journal, 1857 April 18-July 2, 1858 January 11-May 7, 1862 December 8-1863 April 15, 1-20.
- "Deaths," Deseret News, 12 December 1888, 768.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1847, 10.
- Missionary Database
- Norma Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 (Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996), 342.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.