Downard, George, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 8:113-14.
10. Don't recall.
11. When did it leave for Utah?
11. May 12, 1862.
12. What was the place of your destination in Utah? Why did you come to Utah?
12. Salt Lake City, came as a Mormon Convert.
13. When did you arrive there?
13. October 19, 1862.
14. Who was the leader of your company or train?
14. The leader was Captain Eight [Haight] (wasn't sure of how name was spelled.)
15. Method of travel (handcart, ox team, mule team, horseback, etc.)
34. Tell about coming to your state in a covered wagon.
34. Remembered an incident while crossing the plains as a lad, His mother became ill and he (George) stopped the ox-train to let his mother ride. He and the boss driver nearly had a fight. Remembers his brother of 2 years dying on the plains and that they dug a shallow grave to bury him.