Swarts, Jane McKinnon McPhail Baxter, [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 27:154-55.
8. Left Florence, Nebraska Aug. 25, by hand-carts.
9. When did you leave for Utah?
9. In Aug. 25, 1856.
11. When did you arrive there?
11. They did expect to get through before snow fell.
13. Who was the leader of your company or train?
13. Edward Martin was the captain.
16. One day this company was caught in a snow storm on Greasewood Creek near Sweetwater. They were put on rations of 2 oz. of flour each per day and had to pull their handcarts all day through snow and over hills on this ration. Many had their hands and feet frozen. Brigham Young hearing of condition of this company sent teams at once from Salt Lake City with provisions.