"From the Missionary Company," Deseret News [Weekly], 31 Oct. 1860, 276.
- Related Companies
- Company Unknown (1860)
A letter written from Deer Creek station, Oct. 14th, by one of the Elders, who left this city on the 27th of September, in the company composed principally of missionaries, going to various parts of the earth, represents that they were getting along finely, and that the weather thus far, though cold, had been very favorable for traveling-no storms having occurred to impede their progress or to make the journey disagreeable. All were well then, and there had been but little sickness in camp, up to that time.
A temporary organization was entered into at the crossing of Weber, by the selection of C. V. Spencer for captain; W. A. Martindale, sergeant of guard; W. C. Staines, chaplain; and Richard Bentley, historian. Hon. W. H. Hooper, and Elders Pratt, Snow, Cannon, Kay, Bates, and a few others, having taken another road than that traveled by the main body of the company between the Weber river and Fort Bridger, did not overtake them till they reached Green river on the 6th of October. A permanent organization was then effected by the officers who were temporarily appointed receiving the unanimous vote of the company to retain their several offices during the journey. They had found grass for their animals without much difficulty, though in some places they had been obliged to go off the road some distance to find that which was good.