Church Magazines and Newspapers
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a long history of proclaiming the gospel through print. Periodicals, such as magazines and newspapers, have been one of the primary methods used by individual Saints, missions, and the Church to share testimony of Jesus Christ and the news that His Church has been restored.
The following is an extensive, but not comprehensive, list of newspapers and magazines officially and semi-officially published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that have been digitized and made available online. Unless otherwise noted, they are hosted in the Church History Catalog. You can find additional periodicals in the catalog by selecting “Church Periodicals” from the drop-down menu next to the search box.
Published by the Primary organization, The Children’s Friend was originally intended as a resource for leaders and teachers. Articles for children were gradually introduced and, by the 1930s, the magazine had completely shifted its focus to children. It remained in print through 1970 and was replaced by The Friend.
Official transcripts of general conference sessions were printed for many years, even before general conference talks were published in Church magazines. They overlapped until 2017, when the final issue of Conference Reports was published. Transcripts of general conference sessions that occurred after the print version was discontinued can be found in the Gospel Library, and you can learn more about the meetings in our General Conference Research Guide.
The Contributor began in late 1879 as a private publication for the Mutual Improvement Associations. When The Young Woman’s Journal began in 1889, The Contributor shifted to focus solely on the Young Men’s MIA. Seventeen years after it began, The Contributor ran its last issue and it was replaced the next year by the Improvement Era.
The newspaper only ran for four issues: October and November 1837, which were published at Kirtland, Ohio, and July and August 1838, which were published at Far West, Missouri. The Elders’ Journal included Church news, meeting minutes, doctrinal essays, and similar content. The digital version is hosted by the Internet Archive.
Reusing the name of an early Church newspaper, the Elders’ Journal of the Southern States Mission was published by the mission from August 1903 to June 1907. It was printed at Atlanta, Georgia, and Chattanooga, Tennessee, and it included mission news and devotional content. It combined with The Liahona in mid-1907 to become Liahona, The Elders’ Journal.
Several Church magazines were consolidated in 1970 and The Ensign began publication the next year for English-speaking, adult Latter-day Saints. Its run concluded at the end of 2020 when the Liahona transitioned to focus on all adult Saints. Content in The Ensign included articles written by lay members and General Authorities, news about the worldwide Church, and material to accompany Sunday School lessons and gospel study.
This was the first semi-official newspaper published by the Church and is notable for including many of the revelations given to Joseph Smith that would later become sections of the Doctrine and Covenants. The Evening and the Morning Star began in June 1832 in Independence, Missouri, before a brief hiatus in 1833 and a move to Kirtland, Ohio, where it resumed printing in December 1833. It ceased publication in September 1834 but was later reprinted, with many editorial and content changes, as Evening and Morning Star from 1835 to 1836.
Originally begun for the young men, the magazine later merged with the Young Woman’s Journal to serve all youth in the Church. It eventually expanded its content and became the primary Church magazine before it was replaced by The Ensign.
The Instructor was published for the Deseret Sunday School Union as a continuation of The Juvenile Instructor. Its intended audience was Latter-day Saints with callings as teachers. When Church magazines were consolidated in 1970, The Instructor was discontinued.
The magazine began as a publication for Sunday Schools, first appearing in January 1866. It was printed privately in Salt Lake City, Utah, and was purchased by the Church to become the official publication of the Sunday Schools in 1901. In 1930 the name was shortened to The Instructor.
Printed from October 1834 to September 1837 at Kirtland, Ohio, the Messenger and Advocate succeeded The Evening and the Morning Star as the Church’s newspaper. It carried Church news, doctrinal essays, official statements from Church leaders, and other content related to the restored Church.
The magazine began publication in England in May 1840 to spread the news of the restored gospel and to communicate with Latter-day Saints in the United Kingdom. The title was shortened to Millennial Star, and it expanded to cover news and include articles from Church members throughout Europe. It holds the distinction of being the longest running English-language periodical of the Church and was discontinued at the end of 1970 as the Church consolidated its various magazines.
Begun by Samuel O. Bennion as a publication for Church missions, The Liahona was only printed for a few months before it combined with The Elders’ Journal of the Southern States Mission to become Liahona, the Elders’ Journal.
Originally named Tambuli, the magazine was published in the Philippines in English with some articles in Tagalog. It was renamed Liahona in early 1995 and it became the magazine for all adult Latter-day Saints in 2021. It is available online through the Gospel Library.
A combination of The Liahona and The Elders’ Journal of the Southern States Mission, the magazine was published for missionaries. It included news and reports from missions throughout North America. Learn more about Liahona, the Elders’ Journal in its Featured Collection article.
The newspaper known as The Mormon began publication in New York City under the editorship of John Taylor in February 1855. It served as a platform to defend the Church and ran weekly until September 1857.
Published at New York City, The Prophet ran from May 1844 to May 1845, whereafter it was renamed New-York Messenger. It ended its run in December 1845. The newspaper’s content included news reports and correspondence; it also advocated for Joseph Smith’s candidacy for president of the United States in its early issues.
The Relief Society Magazine began in 1914 as the official periodical of the Relief Society organization. It provided lessons, updates on local Relief Societies, and other information relevant to the lives and faith of Latter-day Saint women. It was discontinued at the end of 1970 and consolidated into the Ensign. The digital version is hosted by the Internet Archive.
Beginning publication in January 1853, the newspaper was printed monthly at Washington, D.C., before moving to Liverpool, England, with its July 1854 issue. It was discontinued in August 1854, but, during its run, The Seer focused on defending polygamy, which was being practiced by Latter-day Saints at the time.
A few copies of the first issue appeared in July 1839, but the newspaper was then renumbered and restarted in November of that year. Times and Seasons continued to be printed in Nauvoo, Illinois, until it ceased publication in February 1846. During its run, the newspaper carried news; Church minutes; and important documents, such as the Wentworth letter and the Book of Abraham translation and facsimiles.
Though not an official Church publication, the Woman’s Exponent was created by and for Latter-day Saint women. It began publication in June 1872 and continued until February 1914 when it was replaced by the official Relief Society Magazine. It published reports from local Relief Societies and women serving missions; it also served as a platform for woman’s suffrage.
The Young Woman’s Journal was the official magazine of the Young Ladies’ Mutual Improvement Association, the precursor to the Young Women organization of today. It remained the monthly magazine of the YLMIA until October 1929, when it combined with the Improvement Era. The digital version is hosted by Brigham Young University.
The newspaper was published monthly at Sydney, Australia, beginning in August 1853. It was discontinued in May 1856. During its run, The Zion’s Watchman carried news from Utah and the Australian (and, later, the Australasian) Mission, as well as articles about the gospel and Church doctrine.
Periodicals in Languages Other than English
Many of these periodicals began as independent publications but later became official international magazines of the Church and were eventually renamed Liahona.
Originally published by the Northern Far East Mission, The Way of the Saints began in 1957 as a magazine for Japanese-speaking Latter-day Saints. It eventually became an international magazine of the Church and was renamed Liahona in 1999. It continues publication today, but only issues up to 2020 are available through the Church History Catalog. More recent issues can be found in the Gospel Library.
Te Heheuraa Api was published by the Tahitian Mission beginning in 1907. It ran until November 1940 when the mission closed. It resumed eight years later and ran until 1961 when it was replaced by L’Etoile De La Polynesie Française.
This magazine began publication under the Korean Mission in 1965. It eventually became an official international magazine of the Church and was renamed to Liahona in 1999. Only issues up through 2019 are available in the Church History Catalog and later years are found in the Gospel Library.
The Voice of the Saints was printed in Chinese by the Southern Far East Mission beginning in January 1959. It later became one of the Church’s international magazines and was renamed Liahona in 1999. Issues through 2020 are available in the Church History Catalog. Later volumes are online in the Gospel Library in traditional Cantonese, traditional Mandarin, and simplified Chinese.
Der Darsteller der Heiligen der Letzten Tage (German, The Latter-day Saints’ Representative), 1855–1861
Beginning in May 1855, Der Darsteller was printed at Geneva and Zurich, Switzerland, in German. The final issue was dated February 1861. The content of the newspaper included many excerpts from Church pamphlets and newspapers, as well as some local news and articles.
Begun by the French Mission in November 1928, publication alternated between the French-speaking countries of Europe during the tumultuous 1930s and 40s in Europe. L’Étoile was renamed La Nouvelle E'toile in 1963 before reverting to L’Étoile in 1968. It was finally renamed Le Liahona in 2000. Later issues can be found in the Gospel Library. Through its long history, the content has varied, but L’Étoile often contained mission and local Church unit news and articles translated from other Church periodicals.
Étoile du Déseret was the first Church publication in the French language. It began in Paris, France, before printing moved to Liverpool, England. The first issue was published in May 1851 and the newspaper ran until April 1852. It was replaced by Le Réflecteur the next year. The newspaper printed many translated articles from other Church newspapers, but also carried news of the French Mission and conferences in French-speaking Europe.
Published by the Brazilian Mission beginning in 1948, A Gaivota was renamed A Liahona in 1951 and eventually became an official Church magazine. The magazine is available in the Church History Catalog through 2010, with later issues available through the Gospel Library. Like other magazines, it began by covering news from the mission and local units, but it eventually expanded its coverage to include wider Church news and articles.
Te Karere began as a Māori-language supplement to the Elders’ Messenger (soon shortened to The Messenger) of the New Zealand Mission. With the second volume, starting in 1908, they were published separately but shared issue numbering. Beginning in 1917, the two magazines merged under the Te Karere title and carried content in both English and Māori. The format eventually changed to English only and the magazine was discontinued in 1960.
The magazine began as the newsletter of the Spanish-American Mission under the name El Atalaya de México (Spanish, The Watchtower of Mexico). A few months after it began publication, the name was changed to In Yaotlapixqui (Nahuatl, The Watchtower). In 1945, it was renamed Liahona and a decade later it restarted with new numbering. It continues as the Spanish-language international magazine of the Church.
Due to its unique publishing history, the magazine is broken into two call numbers in the Church History Catalog: 1937 to 1955 and 1955 to 2010. Later issues are available online in the Gospel Library.
Prior to 1988, Spain’s Liahona was published specifically for Spain; it was completely different from other Spanish-language Liahona versions. From 1988 on, Spain’s Liahona was the same as other Spanish-language Liahona versions, with the addition of an insert that was specific to Spain. Issues after 2010 can be found in the Gospel Library.
Initially published by the Norwegian Mission, Lys over Norge eventually became an international magazine of the Church and was renamed Liahona in 1999. The periodical is available through the Church History Catalog through 2010, while later issues are available in the Gospel Library.
Beginning in January 1877, the magazine was printed under the title of Nordstjernan until 1894 when it was renamed the Nordstjärnan. It became an official magazine of the Church in 1967 and was renamed Liahona in 1999. It continues publication, but only issues up to 2010 are available through the Church History Catalog. Latter issues can be found in the Gospel Library.
Printed at Lausanne and Geneva, Switzerland, Le Réflecteur began in January 1853. However, like its predecessor Étoile du Déseret, it was also short lived and ceased publication in December of that same year. During its brief run, the newspaper included mission news and translated doctrinal articles.
The newspaper was initially published by the Scandinavian Mission beginning in October 1851. The name changed to Den Danske Stjerne in 1957, then to Stjernen in 1985, and finally to Liahona in 1999. It continues publication, and is the longest running periodical of the Church, but only issues up to 2010 are found in the Church History Catalog. Later issues can be found in the Gospel Library.
First appearing in March 1968, La Stella was created as a magazine for Italian-speaking Latter-day Saints. In 2000, it was renamed Liahona to align with other international magazines. Issues through 2020 are available in the Church History Catalog, while later volumes are online in the Gospel Library.
De Ster was published by the Netherlands-Belgium Mission beginning in 1896. Publication was suspended from 1942 to 1946 due to World War II. It eventually became an international magazine of the Church and was renamed Liahona in 2000. The magazine is available online through the Church History Catalog through 2010. The Gospel Library provides online access to later issues.
Beginning in January 1869, the newspaper was first published by the Swiss and German Mission. It eventually became the official German-language magazine of the Church and was renamed Liahona beginning with its January 2000 issue. It continues publication today, but only issues up to 2010 are available through the Church History Catalog. Latter issues can be found in the Gospel Library.
Valkeus, begun in October 1948, was originally a publication of the Finnish Mission. It became an international magazine of the Church and was eventually renamed Liahona in 1999. The magazine is still published today. Issues up until 2011 are available through the Church History Catalog and from 2012 forward are available in the Gospel Library.
The Vonarstjarnan began publication at the end of 1986 as the international magazine for Latter-day Saints in Iceland. It was renamed to Líahóna in 1999. It is available in the Church History Catalog through 2020 and in the Gospel Library to current.
Printed at Hamburg, Germany, Zions Panier only printed three issues between November 1851 and January 1852.