Tahitian

Alternate Names
Society Islands
Founded
1844 April 30
Closed
No dates given.

Organized as the Society Islands Mission in 1844, missionary work ceased in 1852. In January 1892, missionaries from the Samoan Mission arrived in Tahiti. The Society Islands Mission was reorganized later that year. In 1907 it was renamed the Tahitian Mission.

Read More

See All Participants of Organization

All Missions

organization

1840

On 30 April 1844 the mission was organized with the first missionaries arriving on 4 May.

Mission Founded

1844 April 30

Addison Pratt Called as President

1845 July–1847 March See Missionaries

organization

1850

Government pressure prevented work from continuing in the mission and it was closed when the mission president, Addison Pratt, departed on 16 May 1852.

organization

1890

In January 1892, Joseph W. Damron and William A. Seegmiller were sent from the Samoan Mission to recommence missionary work in Tahiti. The Society Islands Mission was formally reopened on 29 April 1892.

James Stephens Brown Called as President

1892 April–1893 July See Missionaries

Joseph Warren Damron Jr. Called as President

1893 July–1895 May See Missionaries

Frank Atkinson Cutler Called as President

1895 April–1896 September See Missionaries

Daniel Thomas Miller Called as President

1896 June–1899 July See Missionaries

William Henry Chamberlin Jr. Called as President

1899 July–1900 March See Missionaries

message

1900

A new mission periodical, Te Heheuraa Api, began its run in October 1907 and was published until the end of 1961.

Timeline Activity

1900

The mission home was located at Papeete, Tahiti, Society Islands.

organization

1900

Franklin J. Fullmer temporarily oversaw the mission from July to October 1905 while Edward S. Hall traveled to Utah.

On 22 August 1907 the mission was renamed the Tahitian Mission.

Joseph Young Haight Called as President

1900 March–1902 July See Missionaries

Edward Spackman Hall Called as President

1903 February–1907 August See Missionaries

organization

1910

L. John McCullough served as temporary mission president after the departure of Ernest C. Rossiter in July 1919 until the arrival of Leonidas H. Kennard Jr. in February 1920.

Franklin Junius Fullmer Called as President

1911 September–1914 June See Missionaries

Ira Hyer Called as President

1914 June–1915 April See Missionaries

organization

1920

Herbert B. Foulger was appointed mission president on 5 May 1925 by Ole B. Peterson when Peterson was departing and no formal successor had been appointed.

Stanley W. Bird served as temporary mission president between the departure of Herbert B. Foulger on 7 April 1926 and the arrival of Alma G. Burton on 29 May of that same year.

Leonidas Hamlin Kennard Jr. Called as President

1920 January–1922 August See Missionaries

Ole Bertrand Peterson Called as President

1922 June–1925 May See Missionaries

George William Burbidge Called as President

1929 April–1933 July See Missionaries

organization

1930

At the end of 1930, the mission consisted of four districts: Tahiti, Tubuai, Upper Tuamotu, and Lower Tuamotu. The mission office was located in Papeete, Tahiti.

Thomas Lambert Woodbury Called as President

1936 December–1938 January See Missionaries

Kenneth Richards Stevens Called as President

1938 July–1940 August See Missionaries

Eugene Mousley Cannon Called as President

1940 July 17–December 16 See Missionaries

Edgar Bentley Mitchell Jr. Called as President

1945–1949 See Missionaries

Le Roy Mallory Called as President

1949 December–1952 March See Missionaries
Media
Tahitian (1844 - ?) Profile
Tahitian Mission Home
Missionaries to Tahiti
Missionaries to Tahiti
Mission Conference, December 1939
Tahiti missionaries, March 1906

Sources